Wrongful Death Cases
Protect Your Family – Hire Our Reno Wrongful Death Lawyer
Nevada law state that wrongful death lawsuit alleges that the defendant's wrongful or negligent conduct caused the decedent's death, and the surviving heirs are entitled to monetary damages.
In Nevada, the elements of a wrongful death claim are set forth by statute as follows:
- Plaintiff is a relative of decedent – such as spouse or surviving child
- Defendant caused decedent's death by wrongful act or neglect
- Plaintiff may maintain an action for damages against defendant, or, if defendant is dead, against his or her personal representative
Damages in a Wrongful Death Case
Nothing can fully compensate for the loss of a family member. However, the law provides monetary damages in an attempt to remedy both the emotional and financial losses resulting from wrongful death.
In a claim, the following types of damages may be available:
- Lost companionship
- Lost monetary support
- Medical damages prior to death
- Funeral costs
- Pain and suffering
Examples of Wrongful Death Cases
A wrongful death can occur from a multitude of different incidents. Some of the most common types of wrongful death cases are a result of the following:
- Car accidents - these are the most common types of cases. Drivers and passengers involved in an accident with a semi truck have a much higher chance of serious injury or death.
- Pedestrian accidents - a pedestrian getting hit by a car really is no match. There's no question why this type of accident often leads to a fatality.
- Motorcycle crashes - it has become common knowledge that motorcycles are far more dangerous than cars when it comes to getting into an accident. Without the protection of a vehicle around them, a motorcycle driver or passenger is far more likely to be killed in an accident.
- Pool accidents - drowning due to lack of supervision can be considered negligent, depending on the situation.
Wrongful Death Statute of Limitations
In the state of Nevada, a wrongful death claim must be filed within two years of the date of the person's death. If a claim is not filed within that time frame, the claim will most likely be dismissed.
Why the Law Offices of Steven J. Klearman & Associates?
At the Law Offices of Steven J. Klearman & Associates, our Reno wrongful death attorney works with our clients personally in order to formulate a plan tailored to fit their individual needs. We know that this is a difficult time for you and your family, and the last thing you are considering is any type of legal action.
It is crucial to take the immediate steps necessary, though, to retain legal counsel after an accident causes the loss of a loved one.
Fast and Caring Service
Our office is full of friendly, caring, extremely experienced people who will take the time to talk to you about your case when you call.
A Strong Track-Record of Favorable Outcomes
We've handled thousands of personal injury cases with a track record of success. We regularly obtain six and seven-figure results.
Over 30 Years of Legal Knowledge & Experience
Our Reno-based founding attorney Steven J. Klearman has over 31 years of experience handling serious injury cases in northern Nevada courts.
Board Certified Personal Injury Specialist in the State of Nevada
Fewer than one percent of Nevada attorneys are Board Certified to handle Personal Injury cases.