Many of us try to practice safe driving habits, but accidents happen and we cannot control the actions of others. While many of them typically involve only property damage, one in three accidents still result in injuries to the driver or passengers, and two out of every ten lead to fatal injuries. If you are ever involved in a car accident, here are some things you should keep in mind:
- Do not leave the scene. Even if it is a minor accident, you should never leave the scene.
- Call the police. Having a police report will be an important part of filing a claim with your insurance company, even if it is just for damage done to your vehicle. Additionally, the vehicles involved should not move, unless they are obstructing traffic.
- Take pictures. Most of us have a cell phone that is equipped with a camera. Use it to take pictures of any involved vehicles to document damages. If you have any visible injuries, take pictures of them as well. If it is not possible for you to take pictures at the scene of the accident, do it at the earliest opportunity.
- Make an accurate record. When the police arrive, give them an accurate account of what happened to the best of your ability. If there is a question you cannot answer, do not guess.
- Exchange information. An investigating officer will usually collect information from all drivers at the scene, but you should still ask to see the insurance card for all vehicles involved and, if there are witnesses, get their information as well. Make sure you get the police report number to request a copy later.
- Report the accident. As soon as you are able, notify your insurance company. If you have injuries, find out if you have medical benefits as part of your coverage.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you think your injuries are minor, they may be more severe than you realize. Visit a doctor and let him or her know what happened. Only a doctor can properly assess the extent of your injuries and whether or not any treatment is required to prevent any long-term or permanent damage.
At the Law Offices of Steven J. Klearman & Associates, our Reno auto accident attorneys work to help determine fault in auto accidents. The liable party should be held accountable if injuries are sustained.
Call us at (775) 573-0229 today for a free and confidential consultation.